Tuesday 31 March 2015

Trying To Make Ends Meet....





It may only be the end of March but already 2015 has thrown a lot of sh*t our way.

We took a three week break at the end of last year and headed up the coast....we knew that the holiday would stretch the budget but there is our mental well being to contend with to and we really needed a break.  We rented the crappy old house with lagoon views in order to keep costs down and once we arrived on holidays all entertainment was provided for free by the sun, sand, surf and the lagoon.  We had family time, we had laughs, we made memories.

Arriving home after the break, feeling as recharged as you possibly can when you have been on a beach holiday with 5 children, hubby and I were ready to tackle the new year.

The minute we arrived home we were welcomed by a flea infestation.  Twelve hours later we discovered that the fridge was not working, that same day the lawn mower died.  And it didn't stop there, in addition the shower head broke, the microwave stopped working, hubby's car broke down, the hot water service sprung a leak.....seriously there are probably a few things that I'm forgetting too!


On top of everything on the home front falling apart hubby's work has been quiet with some of the big companies he does work for making a lot of budget cut backs so he is constantly on the look out for more work.

Any tiny sense of peacefulness that we returned from holidays with has long since been completely annihilated and has been replaced with constant stress.

To be honest I am totally exhausted.  

It feels like my days consist of constantly monitoring bank accounts, taking money from one and putting it in another to cover mortgage or bills, chasing every cent that companies owe us, making payment arrangements for electricity, water, rates, school fees etc...

You cannot be the best mum that you want to be when you are all consumed with all of this financial stuff.  I am tired, I am preoccupied,  I am a little short on patience!

Miss 17 needs new school shoes, desperately. Miss 15's dentist bill is behind in payments for her braces, I owe money for new blazers, jumpers and blouses at school, three of the girls are due for birthday parties this year, the water bill is due...and the electricity bill should arrive any day now.  And that's not even the half of it!  

I seriously cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel at the moment so I will just need to keep on juggling, cutting back and surviving as best as we can for the time being.  

This obviously consumes a lot of my energy, it is the last thing I think about at night and the first thing I think about in the mornings.

All I can do for now is to try to find new ways to make money and new ways to save money so that we can work towards making ends meet.  I have decided to make this my focus for 2015 and I will share with you what I learn along the way!  You're welcome to come along for what could be a very bumpy ride!!



Linking up with Jess from Essentially Jess for I Blog On Tuesdays  #IBOT



Have you got any good tips for making ends meet.....I'd love to hear them if you do!
















15 comments:

  1. I have no tips, I am waiting for others to comment so I can jump on it too. I feel the same. Just when I think we are doing OK, something happens. We had a massive gum tree in our back yard and it dropped 2 branches. No choice but to have it removed - $1500 laster. Then car broke down - $1000 later, then fridge started making noise like it was taking off - argh.. come one, I'm a good person (this is what I think). On the plus side, I won tattslotto - $13.40

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how things are around here too Natalie...it is sooo frustrating isn't it. Hope you can pop back again as I try to work my way through this and continue to blog about it. Congrats on your tattslotto win though !!!

      Delete
  2. Oh no that is no good at all. It's not for everyone but I find meal planning really helps with the grocery budget and this is a bit left field but I registered our house with a film site location agency a few years ago and last week a commercial was filmed in our house it pays well and your home doesn't have to be a fancy one. Fingers crossed for you though as I know it doesn't feel like it now but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel sometimes it just takes a while to get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I need to meal plan better then I could save some money as well as time in going to the grocery store a hundred times a week!! Using your home as a film site sounds very interesting Victoria!!

      Delete
  3. I know exactly where you are coming from Veronica. Hubby's job was made redundant in January, and we have been trying to survive on my part time salary. It's hard. But there is light. You just have to keep focussed, and try to be as frugal as you can. But it's certainly not easy. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that Di. You're right, I just have to stay focused and be frugal. It zaps a lot of your energy!! Hope all goes will with you too.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear! Money troubles are the pits and so freaking stressful. Do you pay a little off each week off your utility bills? That helps as then you don't get such a big bill at the end. Meal planning is great. I try and factor in a few cheap meals each week. Can you sell anything? Have a garage sale? Hope things improve for you soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip regarding the utility bill payments...I do try to do this but sometimes miss a few when money is extra tight. Meal planning I need to work on. We did have a garage sale last weekend and that proved to be a success...I now have to get on to listing the left over things on online sites for a bit extra cash. Great ideas...thank you!

      Delete
  6. Money troubles always puts so much pressure on everything. It's so stressful!! Good luck with everything, hope it all works out soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very stressful and so energy and time consuming! Thank you Mandy x

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about your financial woes, can def relate. It feels like we are constantly juggling money over here and there is never enough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard work isn't it?
    We've done it tough from time to time, and you learn what's a necessity and what's definitely not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough times definitely does help you to work out the difference between wants and needs doesn't it!

      Delete