Thursday 11 September 2014

My Sleep Deprived Stupor


With the baby and toddler stages well behind me (lets hope I didn't just jinx myself there!!!) sleepless nights are few and far between here.  Well except for the last two nights that is....and let's just say that I am not coping well with this broken sleep.

It started when I was about to go to bed around 10.30pm on Tuesday night.  One of the perils of sleeping on the fold out sofa in the lounge room is that sometimes you catch a glimpse of some late night television and although you know you should just turn the television off, roll over and go to sleep....you just can't!!  That is exactly what happened when hubby and I started watching a program where parents spied on their unsuspecting teenagers at a festival....it was tragic but we just had to watch!

At 11.30pm I was already regretting having watched the program....but there is something so sweet about being awake when all the girls are asleep!

By now it was 11.40pm...time for a quick mental calculation of the maximum amount of sleep that I could get.  I could still get 6 hours and 40 minutes....I needed to go to sleep stat!!

A few minutes later hubby's snoring filled the room.  Then the cats decided that a game of chasings was in order.  Can cats get bruises....because I am sure that our two would be covered in them from head to tail.....they were running into walls, racing under our bed, wrestling and fighting for what seemed like forever.

I was close to dozing off when Miss 5 cried out.  On auto pilot I made my way out to her. And she was fast asleep....arrrghh !!!  I waited a little while and she seemed to settle so back to bed I went.  Now I lay there awake in anticipation of Miss 5 crying out again...like you do!

By now I was refusing to even look at the time because I knew that my maximum hours had crept below 5....and for someone who doesn't function too well on less than 8 hours sleep that was devastating!!

I think somewhere between 2.00am and 4.00am I fell asleep....only to be woken by the heavy rain on the carport roof.  Then my thoughts turned to how I would get everyone to school in the rain, from there my thoughts jumped to mentally running through my to-do list for the day....then the things that I had to do next week, then to Christmas holidays...and on and on and on!

At 5.00am I was still hopeful that I could perhaps get an hours sleep in....perhaps like a power nap from which I wold wake up refreshed for the day.  

But no....basically I laid there feeling sorry for myself...very, very sorry!

The day didn't get much better from there either.

Having an important meeting to go to I showered and dressed, even brushed my hair....only to then discover that Miss 5 had woken up with conjunctivitis...just great!  

Leaving her with hubby and Miss 16 I got all the girls to school and then drove 3 minutes down the road to Woolworths.....I walked into the store and stood there, my mind a complete blank.....I had no idea what I was there for....eventually I remembered....MILK!!

At the chemist I dropped my car keys on the floor when trying to pay for the saline for Miss 5's eyes.

Off to the important meeting at primary school and my tiredness really set in.  Being interviewed by a panel of three people to answer questions that they asked about various aspects of our school I just willed myself to formulate intelligent answers.  Although when they asked what I would change at our school if I had a magic wand absolutely nothing intelligible was coming!!  My mind was jumping from fairy wands to Barnaby the Busy Buzzy Bee...with all eyes on me I think I mumbled something like 'that's a tough one...I think I need more sleep'.  I hope they didn't write that down!

Came home from that and managed a nap...well if you can call it that when Miss 5 is with you!

Got lost on the way to physiotherapy because rather than trusting my instincts I listened to navman lady and she sent me the wrong way!!!

I was glad when dinner was served and the dishes were done.  A bit of television and off to bed....hopeful for a good night sleep!

40 minutes later Miss 5 was crying with a stomach ache.  Thankfully that settled within 15 minutes and I was back in bed.

50 minutes later Miss 5 was screaming in pain....the middle of the night ear infection....argh one of my all time most hated ailments!!!  Miss 5 has never been a fan of medicine so painstop was out of the question, but with quite a lot of bribing and convincing we managed a bit of Nurofen and a warm face washer over her ear and half an hour and a lot of tears later she finally fell asleep.

I stumbled back to bed, lay down now anticipating further disruptions.  Next thing I knew there was some sort of air raid taking place....oh wait that was  my alarm...seriously it can't be morning already?? 

And so another day dawns, my eyes are heavy, my head aches....I am useless on broken sleep!!  Miss 5 on the other hand has found some energy from somewhere and is keeping my on my toes!  Fingers crossed for a full nights sleep tonight....please!!!!!!!!!!



(source)


Do you cope well when you are sleep deprived...tell me I'm not the only one...please!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment